One of our favourite places to visit, Matapouri Bay is a picturesque horseshoe-shaped, white sandy beach on the Tutukaka Coast. Matapouri is popular with swimmers, photographers, families, body surfers and walkers. Every time we visit it is different – changes in the weather, surf and tides open up some of the most enjoyable activities.
Driving time to Matapouri beach from Lupton Lodge is 20 minutes. There are several places to park, but the easiest to find is at the end of the road with shop on it.
- Swimming at the beach or in the estuary
- Mermaid Pools at Low Tide (swimming is only recommended on calm days and the track is only suitable for very fit people due to a steep ascent on the track)
- Bridge jumping at High Tide (please jump with caution and only at high tide when the estuary is deep enough)
- Boogie boarding or body surfing if the waves are suitable (please note that there is no surf patrol)
- Picnics – there are several grass picnic spots and plenty of space on the beach
- Walkways – stroll along the beach or try the Whale Bay loop walkway, which starts at the end of the beach and is well worth the effort
- Fish & Chips on the beach at the end of the day – the local shop at Matapouri sells takeaways and basic provisions
- Launch your boat off the shore or bring a kayak or paddle board to explore the bay an estuary