International and New Zealand visitors to Whangarei looking for a bite to eat, a spot of shopping, entertainment for the kids or an easy riverside stroll should head to the Town Basin. The Whangarei Town Basin is only 12 minutes drive from your quality accommodation at Lupton Lodge in Glenbervie and just moments away from the centre of Whangarei City.
Eating at the Town Basin
Whangarei Town Basin is great for lunch or dinner, coffee or an ice cream on a hot summer’s day. There’s plenty of choice with several cafes and restaurants on site including including:
- Serenity Cafe (lunch)
- Riverside Cafe (lunch)
- Mokaba Cafe (lunch)
- Love Mussel (lunch & dinner)
- Revas waterfront restaurant (lunch & dinner)
- NZ Fudge Farm (coffee, ice cream & delicious treats)
Town Basin Art Trail
This walkway starts at the playground and follows the the river southwards. There is plenty of parking available at the Town Basin.
Hatea Loop Walkway
If you want to go further you can also extend to the walk by continuing on to the Mair Park and/or Mt Parihaka walkways.
Whangarei Town Basin Shopping & Galleries
- Reyburn House Gallery
- Burning Issues Gallery
- The Bach
- NZ Fudge Farm
- The Kauri Shop
- Nautical Trenz
- Steve Haywood Jeweller
Parking is free at the Town Basin – follow the signs from SH1 or drive south down Hatea Drive from Lupton Lodge.
Whangarei Canopy Bridge Market
Whangarei Visitor Activities at the Town Basin
- Clapham’s Clock Museum – a quirky and historically significant collection of over 400 clocks and music boxes from around the world housed in a purpose built museum. Open 9am – 5pm daily
- Whangarei Art Museum – located through the main doors of the HUB with regularly changing exhibitions including botth modern and classic art. Open Tue-Fri 10am-4pm, Sat/Sun 12-4pm
- Pupurangi Hire & Tour – walking, bike and waka ama tours commencing at the Town Basin. Hire of aquacykls, waka ama, kayaks, roller blades, bikes and scooters
- Whangarei Harbour Cruises – Sunday cruise to Limestone island along the Whangarei Harbour, commencing at the bridge end of the Town Basin
Activities for Kids at the Town Basin
More Activities for kids within walking distance of the Town Basin:
- A short walk from the Town Basin you will find MyBounce Trampoline Park. Great indoor entertainment for all ages (bookings required).
- Across the bridge from the Town Basin is the Whangarei Aquatic Centre including wave pool, water slides, toddler pool and spa.
- Event Cinemas are a multi cinema complex only 5 minute walk from the Town Basin