Looking for something to do with all those fresh lemons and oranges…
- 4 large juicy lemons
- 200g butter (cut into cubes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 free range eggs (beaten)
- Wash lemons then finely grate the rind and squeeze the juice into a saucepan. Add beaten the eggs, sugar and butter.
- Stir constantly with a wire whisk on a gentle heat till mixture thickens – keep the heat low, don’t be tempted to speed it up or stop stirring because the mixture curdles
- Test a spoonful over a plate – if it doesn’t run easily off the spoon then it’s ready
- Pour into a plastic contain and store in the fridge
- You can swap the lemons for oranges, limes or passion fruit or a mixture of these. I reduce the amount of sugar when using oranges or passion fruit.