International and New Zealand visitors to Whangarei looking for a bite to eat, a spot of shopping, entertainment for the kids or an easy riverside stroll should head to the Town Basin. The Whangarei Town Basin is only 12 minutes drive from your quality accommodation at Lupton Lodge in Glenbervie and just moments away from the centre of Whangarei City.
Whangarei Town Basin is great for lunch or dinner, coffee or an ice cream on a hot summer’s day. There’s plenty of choice with several cafes and restaurants on site including including:
Town Basin Art Trail
The Whangarei Town Basin Art Trail takes about 15 minutes each way and is a flat walkway following the river downstream to the start of the Whangarei Harbour. En route you will find a range of stunning local sculptures with an ocean theme, attractive information boards outlining the history of the area and plenty of park benches for sitting back and taking in the scenery. At the end is the Waka and Wave Sculpture by Chris Booth and Te Warihi Hetaraka.
Walkway starts at the playground and follows the the river southwards. There is plenty of parking available at the Town Basin.
Kids will enjoy the Town Basin playground with a wide choice of options for climbing, swinging, spinning and sliding suitable for ages 0-15+ years. The playground is surrounded by grass and trees and adjacent to the marina. There is plenty of parking on site and you can easily stroll over to the NZ Fudge Farm and ice cream shop when you need a break from playing.
Whangarei and Northland are well renowned for having a thriving community of high quality artists. An excellent selection of local Northland arts and crafts and New Zealand souvenirs are available at the Whangarei Town Basin. Some of the shopping (or browsing) options include:
- Reyburn House Gallery
- Burning Issues Gallery
- The Bach
- NZ Fudge Farm
- The Kauri Shop
- Nautical Trenz
- Steve Haywood Jeweller
Parking is free at the Town Basin – follow the signs from SH1 or drive south down Hatea Drive from Lupton Lodge.
Whangarei visitor attractions at the Town Basin include:
- Clapham’s Clock Museum – a quirky and historically significant collection of over 400 clocks and music boxes from around the world housed in a purpose built museum. Open 9am – 5pm daily
- Whangarei Art Museum – located through the main doors of the HUB with regularly changing exhibitions including botth modern and classic art. Open Tue-Fri 10am-4pm, Sat/Sun 12-4pm
- Pupurangi Hire & Tour – walking, bike and waka ama tours commencing at the Town Basin. Hire of aquacykls, waka ama, kayaks, roller blades, bikes and scooters
- Whangarei Harbour Cruises – Sunday cruise to Limestone island along the Whangarei Harbour, commencing at the bridge end of the Town Basin
- Packard & Pioneer Car Museum – open Tes-Sun 10am-4pm opposite the children’s playground at the southern end of the Town Basin