The Whangarei Heads offer dramatic mountain scenery, walkways, beaches and craft galleries along a 35km long peninsula accessible from Whangarei city centre. As a side trip from Whangarei or a day trip for beach lovers the Whangarei Heads are well worthwhile incorporating into your Northland itinerary. From Lupton Lodge to the start of the Whangarei Heads is a 10-15 minute drive.
Lupton Lodge to Pataua North
From Lupton Lodge drive towards Whangarei. Just before Glenbervie School on the left side take a road to Pataua North. This route is very windy and not for the faint heated! You can walk across the footbridge to Pataua South. Note that this road does not join up with the rest of the Whangarei Heads roads.
Lupton Lodge to Whangarei Heads
Alternatively drive towards Whangarei city, turn left at the first lights and follow Hatea Drive until just before the Town Basin where you turn left to cross the bridge. Whangarei Heads Road follows the coast and is very scenic. There are a few craft shops and cafes on the Heads but if you are going for a walk or to one of the beaches take food & drink with you.
- Ocean Beach is a white sandy surf beach.
- There are several walks around the Bream Head Scenic Reserve starting at Ocean Beach or Urquhart’s Bay. The Smugglers Cove walk takes just 20 minutes.
- Mt Manaia takes 1 hour to climb and towers 460m above the harbour entrance providing spectacular views.
- Pataua South has a footbridge to Pataua North and a picturesque inlet.
- Motukiore Island in the middle of Parua Bay is accessible from the Manganese Pt end. At low tide the walkway around the beach leads to a well reserved Maori Pa.
- The Pines Golf Club is open to visitors and well located on the coast.
More information about Lupton Lodge
For Lupton Lodge Bookings or Enquiries phone +64 (0)9 437 2989 or Email Us